Re: Trying to reach consensus for the proposed modules

Steve Frécinaux wrote:
You must agree that Notepad is just a piece of crap.

Yes and no. For viewing things it would be perfectly okay if it could handle foreign forms of line breaks. But I digress. The keyword is "simple."

As Paolo Borelli said, the new gedit is faster than the old one. It has been partly rewritten and gained some needed features. Some of them, rarely used, has even been removed to be reimplemented as optional plugins.

When a developer says it is faster, I cannot necessarily take it at face value. For example, Gimp 2.x is undeniably faster than Gimp 1.x, but its startup time is longer. Is it, therefore, faster?

So, if I use Gimp as an image viewer, it's slower from my point of view. I use gedit more as a viewer than an editor. If startup time is any longer than before, then it is slower, from my point of view.

I'm simply sounding a note of caution. There were some plans at one point to rewrite large parts of EOG in Python. Thankfully it fell through, as that would have been pointless breakage of a near-perfect application.

--Pat