Re: Trying to reach consensus on g-p-e

Qui, 2006-01-12 às 10:52 +0100, Paolo Maggi escreveu:
> Hi guys,
> 	since Gustavo (g-p-e maintainer) is willing to split g-p-e in two
> parts:
> 1. modules wrapping gnome desktop libraries (let me call it
> gnome-python-desktop),

  Yes, gnome-python-desktop is exactly the name I had in mind. :-)

> 2. modules wrapping other libraries,

  That would remain to be called gnome-python-extras.

> can we reach consensus on allowing desktop applications to depend on
> what I called gnome-python-desktop and so on including
> gnome-python-desktop itself in desktop modules set?
>
> This is importart for several reasons:
> - we will be able to include python-based applets in desktop,
> - we will be able to add python-based plugins to desktop applications
> (e.g. gedit),
> - in general, we will be able to write new python applications that can
> use desktop libraries such as gtksourceview, gnomeprint, gnomeprint.ui,
> etc.
>
> gnome-python-desktop will follow the same rules of the other desktop
> libraries, i.e. API/ABI backward compatibility is desirable, but not
> strictly required. We don't recommend desktop libraries for usage by
> ISPs.
>

> If needed, I think we could further reduce the set of bindings to
> include in gnome-python-desktop to the ones actually used by desktop
> applications:
> - gnome-applet (if a python-based applet will be included in desktop)
> - gnomeprint, gnomeprint.ui, gtksourceview (conditionally required for
> gedit python plugins)

  Sorry, I don't agree at all with this third alternative.  While for
gnome 2.14 maybe only gnomeapplet, gnomeprint, and gtksourceview maybe
needed, maybe in gnome 2.XY other modules might be needed, and I don't
like constantly shifting modules left and right.  Please, let's stick to
the plan of splitting in desktop/extras, where desktop is all dekstop
libraries, not just the ones used by current desktop apps.

  Cheers.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.