Re: Special folders in gnome

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 09:21 +0100, Mattias Eriksson wrote:
<snip>
> I don't have a perfect solution. But one (not totaly sucky) solution
> could be a solution where special folders are defined in a gconf-setting
> (system/gnome/folders/Pictures are set to the path to the Pictures
> folder, or a list of path to allow the user to have multiple music

I know this is a very Windows type of thing to do (where you can use
tweakUI to change the location of "My Pictures") but for me this would
be a godsend -- making Photos go to my remote CIFS mounted share.

This has potential use for administrators too, using gconf to set
policy.

The only downside with this idea, would have desktop neutral programs
using gconf -- which I'm sure the KDE guys (I know this is a GNOME list,
but interoperability is always good) wouldn't like. For GNOME
applications, this certainly isn't a problem. It could also solve more
problems than initially thought, if done well.

I do think this is a good idea.

<snip>
> Another positive thing is that if the folder is stored in gconf, it
> would also be possible to add some folder settings to it (Like music
> archive layout).

I think just implementing the former suggestion may take some effort, I
would concentrate on this first.

Richard.