Re: Special folders in gnome

Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 21:29 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Mattias Eriksson">
> >
> > > I know that this have been discussed in the past, but no solution was
> > > reached then. I hope it will be different this time.
> >
> > I strongly agree that we need a solution for this (something GConf defined
> > would be perfect for desktop/network administrators). Let's do it for 2.16?
>
> Why do we need to tranlate the on-disk folder name of Templates if we
> don't need to translate the folder names of home, bin, and all of the
> bash commands? Why isn't it good enough to translate it in the user
> interface?

Nautilus already has a special folder heuristics - ~/Desktop is
displayed with a different icon.

Let's enhance this, make special icons for them and Add Real name in
Properties.

File selector needs something, too, to make things consistent.

Maybe these folders should be mapped there to predefined bookmarks -
Desktop is already there, and display only related bookmarks - for
example in eog display "Pictures" but not "Music" etc.

It should be discussed, whether to translate these bookmarks, or also
folder names in file view and tree view, or make these directories
hidden in folder view of Home and create something like places://
It can have some consequences - e. g. dropping translated Bilder to
gnome-terminal must put /home/me/Pictures.

Idea 1:
- Special folder in bookmarks.

Idea 2:
- Special folders (including Home and Desktop) in places://) Put
places:// to the default Desktop.

Idea 3 (not mentioned above):
- Make the list of special folders simply configurable.

Additional idea 4 (not mentioned above):
- Predefine also special folders for equivalents of the FHS directories
in home directory. Define CONFIG_SITE to users, so they can
seamlessly ./configure ; make ; make install to these directories.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SuSE CR, s. r. o.                             e-mail: sbrabec suse cz
Drahobejlova 27                               tel: +420 296 542 382
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 296 542 374
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/