Re: Special folders in gnome

Le vendredi 13 janvier 2006 à 15:00 +0100, Stanislav Brabec a écrit :
> Frederic Crozat wrote:
>
> > > The shell is strange, and always will be, whatever we do.
> >
> > Problem is not really shell by itself (well, it can be for support /
> > admin people) but shell scripts..
>
> > Well, we no longer translate Desktop anymore in the latest version of
> > GTK File selector.
>
> What about a compromise - translate GTK+/Nautilus bookmarks, something
> like places:// but not folder names in /home/user. We do it for Desktop
> already, and it seems that nobody complains about it.

Well, people might not complain to much for those inconsistencies
because they don't care or think it is not worth complaining, but I
still think it is.

Call me perfectionist if you want, but I'm convinced those kind of
details do matter, specially if you have a lot of small details like
that..

The other problem is that currently, Desktop and Home are hardcoded in
nautilus and file selector, which is not very flexible.

> To make it understandable, file selector and Nautilus should show
> special icon and a tooltip _("Special directory: Desktop"), _("Special
> directory: Pictures").
>
> We can even add a configuration option to make special directories
> hidden in /home/user and visible only in places:// and bookmarks.
> This is nothing new, we had a hidden Desktop in GNOME 2.2 or so -
> ~/.gnome-desktop.

Configuration options are bad, specially in this case where we are not
sure of the right solution so : let's user deal with it ;)

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandriva com>
Mandriva