Re: Trying to reach consensus for the proposed modules

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006, aigiskos wrote:

> Hi,
>
> --- Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 11:17 +0100, Chipzz wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > > A comment here which not only refers to gedit, but
> > also to those other
> > > apps which are creating plugins: do we actually
> > have a standard consis-
> > > tant cross-application framework for scripting?
> >
> > Why on earth would I want to drop the ability to
> > actually make a python
> > plugin, or a perl plugin, or a ruby plugin, or a
> > ${WHATEVER} plugin and
> > do it using something like VBA instead?
> >
> > With python or perl or ruby or haskell or scheme we
> > have an entire
> > language with its own entire framework (for perl,
> > think CPAN) with its
> > own community of developers.  VBA is some half-assed
> > common denominator
> > - which is not useful enough.
> >
> > Please, don't we just copy windows for the sake of
> > copying it.  VBA is
> > definitely *not* the way to go, WRT to "scripting";
> > especially if we
> > compare it with the solutions we do have.
> >
> > Ciao,
> >  Emmanuele.
> <snip>
>
> I believe Chipzz was *not* suggesting that we adopt
> VBA as a de-facto scripting language for Gnome.
> Rather, I think he was suggesting that Gnome offer a
> common plug-in framework or API into which all
> applications can hook.  I.e. He is worried that each

I was indeed referring to the api. It would be silly if for example
application exports a function new_document, while application b exports
a function create_document, and application c yet something else.
*Especially* in Office suites (well, one could argue that gedit is not
part of the gnome office suite, but still :P), this looks silly, and
will only confuse the user.

> Gnome application is coming up with its own plug-in
> framework-- thus needlessly duplicating work.

That's another thing - but weither that is possible... ?

> (On the other hand, one could argue that plug-ins
> should be built specifically for the needs of a
> particular application, rather than being generic.)
>
> For whatever it's worth...
>
> Cheers!

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz ULYSSIS Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."