Re: GStreamer version for 2.14

Hi,

> > Is GNOME 2.10 maintained?
>
> If you want to do an analogy, you should ask : is GNOME 2.12
> maintained ? ;)

No - since GNOME 2.14 is not out yet.

The question is - is GNOME maintaining more than one stable branch at
any point ?

> After discussing on irc, it seems not everybody has the same definition
> of "unmaintained".
>
> For me, unmaintained means "dead", ie no more commit on CVS, nothing.

I think in this particular case, for me it means something roughly like:
- important security fixes will get applied and released
- crasher bugs that have patches and are not invasive will get applied
- I make an effort to not destabilize the latest released version on
this branch by applying random patches from wherever without proper
testing
- I'm not actively looking for bugs to fix in it
- big feature additions, addition of plug-ins, ... do not get applied

I think that's a fair compromise between work involved, viability of
that branch, and expectations from users of that version.

I am assuming that Ronald, by maintaining, in this case, means he might
try and fix bugs on his own.  In practice, given that he's busy, I would
expect him to either be really annoyed by it personally or have a patch
in bugzilla to work from.

My only worry when it comes to 0.8 is possible destabilization of a
highly evolved code base that is about as good as it can possibly get at
this point.

Thomas

Kiss me please kiss me
Kiss me out of desire baby not consolation
Oh you know it makes me so angry cause I know that in time
I'll only make you cry