Re: New modules in 2.14

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 10:37:37PM -0500, Ryan Lortie wrote:

> > In:
> > - gnome-power-manager

> Another issue is that right now some distributions are using power
> management systems that are vastly different from how g-p-m works.  If
> we include g-p-m we are encouraging people to depend on it and making
> life difficult for those distributions that do not want to ship it.

I'm with Ryan on this. I think we should give vendors a choice for
the time being.

He also raises excellent points about what gnome-power-manager is
(that is, it is very GNOME centric). When I first envisioned
something like this, I named it PowerManager and like its namesake
NetworkManager it was to be largely platform independant. Ideally it
would offer perhaps a capplet and some manner of system for
notifications, but other than that would not be intrusive on a GNOME
desktop. This is unfortunately not how it works.

Usually I propose that a good solution today is better than a great
solution tomorrow, but I think in this case we should show some
pragmatism, before we commit to path that none of our vendors or any
other desktops want to share.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA