Re: GStreamer version for 2.14

ons, 18,.01.2006 kl. 12.44 -0700, skrev Elijah Newren:
> On 1/15/06, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > So, the release team messed up and didn't keep close enough tabs on
> > everything, resulting in discovering an issue pretty late. We need to
> > try to find rough consensus in the community.
>
> So, here's my understanding of this thread and the alternate one[1]
> (feel free to correct anything I got wrong; I am not an expert in this
> area by any means):
>
> - There is no good or optimal solution; all choices have multiple
> drawbacks.  :(  We still have to pick one, though.
> - 0.10 is more stable in the doesn't-crash sense, but has a less
> complete set of plugins and thus cannot handle as many formats
> - The regressions that exist from the less complete set of plugins are
> limited to totem
> - these regressions are for formats we can't ship anyway, though they
> do limit  what can be played in totem for those
> non-tree-hugging-lefties[2] who would otherwise be able to just
> download extra plugins.
> - 0.8 has very little development or maintenance effort and has
> unfixable problems due to inherently problematic API (causing various
> crashes, as noted above)
> - 0.8 and 0.10 can be installed simultaneously, though actively
> depending on both is a bigger maintenance load that would probably be
> better spent fixing stuff, and it may also be more annoying to users
> since preference applets only affect settings for one of the two
> versions (granted, this will only affect the users who don't want to
> use the defaults and who are able to understand those dialogs)
> - Those actively working on gstreamer now recommend 0.10, Ronald (who
> has done *huge* amounts of gstreamer work in the past and is
> volunteering to continue to work on 0.8 as his time permits) prefers
> 0.8
> - most distros appear to be moving to 0.10 (JDS, Ubuntu, Fedora;
> Fedora is shipping both versions, but 'gstreamer' is 0.10 while
> there's also a 'gstreamer08')
> - not knowing what we're using is holding up the 2.13.5 release
>
> So, here's my proposal:
> Ship with 0.10.  Have everything default to it.  Also include 0.8 in
> the ftp directory, but not used.  Include a big old section in the
> release notes explaining the situation and letting people know that
> they can recompile totem or compile a second version of totem against
> 0.8 if they wish.

I'm with you on all points. I would like to see the GStreamer hackers
fix as many of the known issues ASAP though. Not that I expect them to
get to them all, but it would be nice to make stability and feature
parity priority #1 in the remaining time before the final release. I
know you can do it! :-)

Cheers
Kjartan