Re: New modules in 2.14

Quoting Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus FreeBSD org>:

I'm not sure about the KDE side of the house, but they seem to be more
multi-OS (i.e. non-Linux) friendly out-of-the-box.

I think this is simply a matter of technology. For a long time in GNOME all of
that OS specific code was being replicated over and over and over and the
developers would make the same mistakes and the porters would keep sending them
the same patches.

So then you decide to standardize on one place where everything can be nicely
abstracted into a consistant interface. Yay, the porters no longer have to send a million and one little patches, unfortunately they now have to port HAL, which
I understand is a massive undertaking.

I guess in some regards, you just can't win either way.

--d