Re: New modules in 2.14

On 1/20/06, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:
> Sex, 2006-01-20 às 09:10 -0700, Elijah Newren escreveu:

> > I make a best effort (which is sometimes lacking, in particular I just
> > realized I've always forgotten to notify the bindings people -- which
> > is perhaps why you see it as no different) to at least notify apps
> > that I know are affected and often also provide patches.

Note the above parenthetical comment...

> > I wouldn't bother notifying anyone if I broke ABI of
> > libmetacity-private (other than control-center), even if it was during
> > a micro point release during the stable cycle.
>
> This already happened once with wnck, with nasty results:
> http://www.daa.com.au/pipermail/pygtk/2006-January/011660.html
> But we understand the limitations of API guarantees and live with it.

Yup, this was an example of where I sucked as mentioned in the
previous comment.  I probably should have notified bindings in the
past of wnck API/ABI changes.  Would it make sense to do so in the
future?  Would a mail to language-bindings@ be sufficient for that
purpose?

> So I've finally released the split g-p-e/g-p-d packages, leaving
> metacity in g-p-e and untouched.  I almost thought about renaming to

you mean g-p-d?  ;)

> metacity.private, but it's ugly, and I thought this discussion had died
> out with no much concern.  At the time I received this email, I had
> already uploaded the packages.  I hope this will not cause much concern,
> but I guess renaming the module or issuing a warning during import is
> still a viable option.

Nah, don't worry about the renaming or giving a warning.  As you've
pointed out, this really is not different for you than how you've had
to deal with wnck in the past; since you're fine with that, I don't
see any problems.

Cheers,
Elijah