Re: fam/gamin/inotify [was: Re: New schemas...]

Le vendredi 27 janvier 2006 à 12:12 +0100, Stanislav Brabec a écrit :
> But FAM does not support inotify, at least as is. Only dnotify and
> polling. And network notification.
>
> > > Let's just move to inotify directly.  Other unixes will have to catch
> > > up.
>
> KDE does the same, too - for local files it uses inotify directly, for
> remote files it uses FAM.
>
> > Does inotify handle NFS mounts?
>
> No, you need network notification, i. e. FAM running on both client and
> server. In theory, network notification daemon can use inotify on NFS
> server side.

Thus, if we want to have a full functionality, we need either:
     1. To add inotify support to FAM.
     2. To make gnomeVFS use inotify directly on local mounts, and FAM
        on remote mounts.
I happen to prefer 1) as it allows FAM to use inotify on the server
side.
: :' :           josselin mouette ens-lyon org
`. `'                        joss debian org