Re: CVS conflicts for po files in doc directories

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Torsten Schoenfeld wrote:

> Aloha,
>
> why am I seeing more and more CVS conflicts for *.po files in
> documentation directories?  This happens for quite a few modules
> (gucharmap and gnome-applets come to mind); and their number is
> increasing.  Is this related to xml2po?  Can it be fixed?
>
> Why are generated files in CVS anyway?

For gucharmap this happened when a translator moved his doc
translations to gnome-doc-utils, but just made enough changes to
the build system for it to build on his machine, failing to
remove the Makefile.am and the po file from CVS, and updating the
help/Makefile.am and configure.in too...  I fixed these a few
days ago.

Translators should make sure they understand what they are doing,
or if they don't, simply ask the module maintainer to make the
changes for them, instead of breaking the build, and leaving it
to anyone passing by to fix it after causing a lot of problems
for different people.

--behdad
http://behdad.org/

	-- Dan Bern, "New American Language"