Re: Some feedback

On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 02:30:20AM +1200, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> On Jul 6, 2006, at 1:08 AM, Radu Olaru wrote:
> >
> > I did not knew exactly to who should I write, nor did I found any
> > explicit email on the gnome site, so here goes. Did you noticed how
> > are modern desktops evolving? They try to be as dialog-less as
> > possible.
>
> <http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=151250154&size=o>
>
> > Gnome is great in evey way but it has too many dialogs opening at
> > every step. Copying dialog,
>
> All versions of Windows (including Vista), and all versions of Mac OS X
> (including 10.4), use a progress window when copying.
> <http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Sources/
> Windows%20Vista%20Beta%201%20Review/Images/CopyingFile.png>
> <http://inessential.com/images/TigerCopyWindow.png>
>
> So which "modern desktops" are you referring to? :-)

I think the big difference is that in os/x (at least the version I used
a couple of years ago) placed the copy dialog in the top right of the
desktop (not randomly placed or centered) and multiple copy windows
"append" themselves to the original window (like nud's SOC project is
proposing, kinda) so that you have copy operations contained in one
area.

Alan

--
Alan <alan ufies org> - http://arcterex.net
"Backups are for people who don't pray."                 -- big Mike