Re: preserving user configuration

Hi !

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 14:01 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> So, the stock ticker applet has been replaced by
> a new all-shiny python incarnation. Has any thought
> been given to preserving the user configuration ?

Yes, the implementation is lagging a bit.
The interesting thing about it, is that there is no other way to
preserve settings from gtik than to walk the gconf key
/apps/panel/applets, look for directories names applet_*, look into each
directory if the bonobo OAFIID correspond to gtik's one, then extracts
information from gtik gconf schema and import it. Note that there is
apparently no way to know if you have multiple applet_* matching, which
one is the real, corresponding to the running instance of gtik (or maybe
you have more than one instance and then you're even more screwed).

Which is interesting..

> I see some thought has been given to it, since
> it installs a bonobo server file which replaces
> the old stock ticker applet with the new one.
> But it does not seem to take over the configuration
> data from the old applet. And the new applet
> stores its configuration data by serializing a
> python object, which is an "interesting" approach,
> to say the least...

Patches are accepted, as always. The new applet needs to be able to
display symbols without having to define a portfolio (just give me the
current value of stock X) to be able to be backward compatible with
gtik.

It could also stores all the portfolio setting in gconf, which is a bit
of a pain, i suppose i'd have to create directories, one per symbol, or
more 'interesting' hacks.

Thank for trying it and providing feedback ;)

Raf

PS. I think i could use someone working on it a bit, since i'm seriously
low on time to handle all my other stuff, and the original person who
told me he was going to help didn't help, after all.