Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion (RESEND)

Ghee Teo Sun COM wrote:

>> Is there a definition of that is acceptable as a core GNOME
>> application - other than it's based on consensus? I think we are
>> badly in need of a definition that defines the needs of the core
>> GNOME Desktop?
>
> There is no doubt we need to establish a definition of what
> constitute GNOME core application/platform and create some layered
> modules which are loosely coupled rather than tightly coupled
> dependency.  In approach currently, because there is a nice
> application, we pull in the the whole dependency. And in the next
> release, someone write any nice application with plaftform X, we
> pull in another platform. In no time at all, GNOME will become so
> overly bloated in terms of foot print and performance. Of course, we
> can't define what platform can go in or not go in until we the
> community define what constitute the core apps/platform the GNOME
> release is made up of. But who are the people can/should establish
> this?

  Completely agree. My vote is for not including it.

  GNOME is a development framework by itself, it doesn't make sense to
  add more huge development platforms like Mono or Python.. we already
  have enough performance problems for that.

  The platform and default desktop have to be clean of those secondary
  frameworks, and then, it will be up to each distribution to add
  whatever they want: Java, Python, Mono, etc..

  There are many people pushing for very similar technologies, and
  GNOME should not even try to make them all happy by accepting
  proposals.  I wouldn't like to imagine a GNOME desktop depending by
  default on Python, Java and Mono, for instance.

--
Greetings, alo.
http://www.alobbs.com