Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

Hello Alvaro at Sun.com,

>   http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1820607,00.asp
>
> ======
> Everything in Longhorn was supposed to be written in C# and to be
> managed code. But managed code was going to require machines that
> weren't going to be available for five years or more. So now Microsoft
> is rewriting everything in Longhorn, the developer says. Developers
> claim that the Windows team actually began rethinking Microsoft's .Net
> Framework
> ======
>
>   As Darren said, why do we think we will do any better?

If we do not believe we can not do anything better than Microsoft, if
that is your "cap", your limit, your highest aspiration, then you might
as well give up on software, or on free software.

The failure of Longhorn is well documented in the Wall Street Journal
article that ran a profile on its problems (it is a for-pay article
sadly):

http://users2.wsj.com/lmda/do/checkLogin?mg=wsj-users2&url=http%3A%2F%
2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB112743680328349448.html%3Fmod%
3Dtodays_us_page_one

Extracts of it are available here:

http://net127.com/2005/09/24/battling-google-microsoft-changes-how-it-builds-software/

But the bottom line was that there were two teams: the senior team took
XP and hardened it to create 2003;  While a junior team went overboard
with innovative ideas destabilizing everything.   They had to eventually
"reset" and throw all the untested code out.

Miguel.