Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

Dan Winship wrote:

>> Does it make sense to you to use have three or four different DOM
>> parsers in memory at the same time?
>
> No, it doesn't, but we already have three XML(ish) parsers linked
> into every C-based GNOME app (libxml2, expat, and GMarkup). And yet,
> GNOME is *better* now than it was when we only had one XML parser.

  I bet guys running GNOME in old computers wouldn't agree with this.

>> the problem is that there are many other pieces that are also
>> overlapping with the GNOME framework, and that can do nothing but
>> mess up the desktop.
>
> How exactly are these apps going to mess up the desktop? Let's take
> Tomboy, since it's on the table. What *precisely* does Tomboy do that
> messes up the desktop (that it wouldn't do if it was written in C)?
>

> And if your argument is really "languages that come with their own
> frameworks are bad",and not just "I hate mono", then why didn't you
> argue against allowing python-based apps in the platform when that
> came up a year and a half ago?

  I missed it. :-/ Actually, what is puzzling me is that nobody else
  did it.  You cannot even imagine how many people think like this.. I
  guess there are too many interests around these adoptions, I don't
  know. In any case, IMHO using Python to develop basic desktops
  applications is as wrong as using Mono or any other framework.

  And, don't take me wrong.  I said *basic* desktop applications.
  Projects like Alacarte are okay; those are applications that you may
  use once a week/month. However, when we speak about an applet that
  will be loaded each single time you boot for PC things change.  We
  ought to be extra careful with those.

--
Greetings, alo.
http://www.alobbs.com