Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

Chipzz,

This is exactly the way I feel about things.

Mono and Python etc are all very good in their own way, but I really don't see
why they need to be part of the core GNOME desktop - this was why I wanted to
break down the GNOME desktop into various groupings - so ISVs, etc. can make
their own mind up about what they wish to depend upon.

Someone mentioned that "everyone is already shipping Mono" - but that's not true
either - maybe many of the major Linux distros are - but what about others like
maemo, RedHat Enterprise Linux (don't know the plans on this in the future
though) and Solaris. There are too many legal risks with a full Mono platform -
some parts are fairly open, but there are others which are not - it's this
latter part that worries us here in Sun the most (at least that's my view on
things) - we're sick of fighting with MS and we don't want to give them yet
another reason for one ;)

Again - this is why I think there needs to be the choice to say "No" to mono -
it may be that we do consider doing something - but we certainly don't want to
be forced into it.

Darren.