Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

On 7/13/06, Dan Winship <danw novell com> wrote:
Alvaro Lopez Ortega wrote:
>   Does it make sense to you to use have three or four different DOM
>   parsers in memory at the same time?

No, it doesn't, but we already have three XML(ish) parsers linked into
every C-based GNOME app (libxml2, expat, and GMarkup). And yet, GNOME is
*better* now than it was when we only had one XML parser.

But doesn't it really SUCK for developers that they have to learn
three different XML parsers? Similarly, wouldn't it really SUCK for
the Gnome project as a whole if each and every component was
implemented in a different language?

I very much like Python and have never used Mono/C#. But I would very
much rather see Mono/C# (or Java.. yuck!) chosen as THE managed
language to use in the Gnome platform than have to deal with two or
more managed languages and their class libraries.

--
mvh Björn