Re: Time to heat up the new module discussion

Miguel de Icaza wrote:
Hello,

Hi,

so in other words it will spike every now and again EG if under Boehm GC I have 50MB heap then in compacting mode its going to spike from 50 to 100+ MB (how much higher depends on the no. of generations you have and how incremental it is of course)

Yes, but the spike is not 2x the memory you have allocated.  The spike
is the size of the nursery (512k).

Sure for young generation collections but "major collections" will be 2x the allocated memory as they must include the older generations as well as the nursery. (thats pretty much what the page link you gave says unless I have misinterpreted it?)

So we will see a doubling in size spike every now and again (it is after all one of the main disadvantages common to *all* copying collectors so no need to panic!)

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/