Re: Focusing on innovation re: mono, python et al

Iain * wrote:
On 7/15/06, Chipzz <chipzz ulyssis org> wrote:

Beagle
Quite important IMO, but we have tracker as a replacement.

I'm not holding my breath for tracker really...Call it a hunch, or
female intuition or something...

Well I suggest you try it rather than dismiss it out of hand. Tracker is already integrated in both nautilus search and deskbar and provides the fastest and most memory efficient search available in both those cases.

I will be proposing Tracker for inclusion in 2.18 by which time it will include support for indexing emails, logs and others.

Tracker is also not a clone of Beagle nor a simple indexer - it is much much more. Its a full database system that can provide common DB storage for first class objects, extensible metadata and tags.

It will be more integrated with both Rhythmbox and Epiphany by then too (both of which are happy to integrate with and depend on tracker)

All those moaning about innovation need not fret - tracker will shortly provide the most innovative and powerful search with rich first class objects and smarter metadata rich desktops. Beagle does not do what I want in this area and thats why tracker is being written (as only a DB based system can deliver these)

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/