Re: GnomeClient replacement?

On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 11:36 +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
> > the GnomeClient API is for some apps the single Gnome dependency that
> > has no GTK equivalent and that keeps said apps tied to the >25 or so
> > platform libraries. Other libgnome(ui) uses are gnome_program_init() and
> > gnome_help_display() which can be replaced by gtk_init variants and
> > directly spawning gnome-open or yelp....
>
> > Well, the other thing that the gnome_program_init provides (as I
> > understand it) is the bug-buddy hooks. However, IMHO, this is more of a
> > distro thing. Ubuntu's solution
> > (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AutomatedProblemReports) seems to be better here,
> > as distro specific stuff can make great efforts to get symbols, etc.
> >
> > -- Ben
>
> gnome_program_init also loads the accessibility support, calling gconf
> in the process.  It's not clear to me that this could conveniently be
> put elsewhere without complicating the dependencies of other modules...

Hey Bill,

As usual, I'm afraid most of us don't understand all the layers
as well as we ought to.  Could you clarify exactly which pieces
of the accessibility stack wouldn't get activated?  There are
a lot of GTK-only applications, probably a couple inside Gnome.
What are these applications missing out on?

--
Shaun