Re: Mac shipments up 12% [Was: focus!]

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 17:27 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 10:58 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> So lets create our own market?!
>
> What about embedded? There's a huge audience waiting for us.
>
> To give you a number. A lot people know the Dreambox and its uses in te
> satellite world. It comes with a Linux kernel and has framebuffer
> support.

Oh. And of course I only mentioned satellite business because that is
what I'm dealing with at this moment.

What about car navigation, music players, instant messaging and VoIP
devices and telephones. That's just the obvious ones that exist TODAY
already.

Tomorrow fridges, household machines like vacuum cleaners. DVD players
(or however it will be called). Recorders (DVD, same thing)?!

They all need user interfaces. They all need menus. They all need human
interaction.

Where are we? Why aren't we helping businesses creating that using our
framework?

That market share is bigger than the desktop world Microsoft is
dominating. And it's going to grow the next few years.

Embedded is not just handhelds and PDA's. Yet even that market is going
to grow. We're very lucky Nokia picked us. That is extremely good for
GNOME, indeed.

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
work: vanhoof at x-tend dot be