Re: What about Embedded?

Hello,

> I look forward to Mono development over time.  I do think it is an
> exciting framework.  My experience is from the embedded world.  My
> engineers don't use Python with Gtk+.  We use Gtk+ and Gtkmm.  My
> concern is for the overall user experience.  I come from a world of
> our own in-house kernel and rootstrap.  My kernel is written in ARM
> assembly.  All of my drivers from I2C to USB are written in ARM
> assembly. So as I transition my team's products to the Gnu/Linux and
> Gnome platform, the overall user experience should not regress.  That
> is my gatekeeper in a way.
>
> You have to weigh the pros and cons of cost as well.  Do I throw more
> money at more expensive processors, more memory, and more flash just
> so that software performance doesn't regress?  Or do I compromize and
> stick with native for now, keep the price down and allow third party
> use of frameworks like Mono or Python and see it evolve over time.
> That is my balance.  I think it is a fair one.

It is a fair one.

Our difference of opinion is that we are probably looking at different
sides of the embedded world.   "Embedded" can mean a million different
things.

Mono has been successfully used in embedded systems of different sorts.
In the particular context of Gnome and Mono, I assumed you were talking
about Maemo which is probably the high profile user of Gnome today on an
small device, and on Maemo Mono is just a fine solution.

Miguel.