Re: Putting the 'Mono debate' back on the rails

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 00:03 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
 * Should applications built with anything in the Bindings suite be accepted
   into the Desktop suite?
  - short to medium term
  - do we want the central components of our software to potentially be
    written in five to ten different languages and/or runtimes/platforms?
  - this leads very neatly into the next question

 * Is it time to redefine the suites and/or 'franchise' the release process?
  - medium term
  - this is not just about new suites, it's about redefining the current
    Desktop suite by its integration interfaces and central components; we
    need to make current suites serve us better before kicking off new stuff
  - http://perkypants.org/blog/2005/05/19/1116533413/ (last few paras)
  - start slow: don't even create new suites to begin with, just make sure
    the small number of apps that want to adopt our process and standards
    right now can do so - new/further governance of suites can come later

Regarding just the above two issues:

What if there is a bilateral subdivision of the desktop suite which
helps *distributors* distinguish between applications that support being
compiled AOT (C, C++, Mono AOT, Java GCJ, D?) and applications that run
JIT'd/VM'd (Mono JIT, Java JRE, Python, Ruby, Perl). It seems to me
that, at least conceptually if not technically, the division between the
two camps above is one of AOT/native compilation versus
JIT/VM'd/interpreted compilation.

I don't think this is an item worth dividing on. For languages like Mono (and Java with GCJ), the compile or JIT (for Mono) or interp (for GCJ) is purely a case-by-case performance decision.

Notice that both Java and Mono could be in either camp depending on how
the project's Makefiles are written ... in both the Mono AOT and Java
GCJ cases, libraries in use are shared between processes. Execution
performance is also (generally) higher.

The statement that performance is generally higher isn't quite correct. However, it's completely besides the point for this discussion.

It would be interesting to get Miguel's take on whether or not Mono AOT
usage should be encouraged. In the Java GCJ case, it is encouraged for
use by its authors.

Again, completely besides the point. The decision to AOT would be based on measurements. It doesn't address any of the issues in Jeff's email.

-- Ben