Re: Putting the 'Mono debate' back on the rails

Vincent Untz wrote:

Le samedi 22 juillet 2006, à 15:44, Joe Shaw a écrit :
Hi Vincent,

Vincent Untz wrote:
The API in the bindings suite covers the platform API. This has to be
clear to ISD/ISV and we don't want to compromise this message. Please
don't consider Gtk# only, but the platform (with the bindings) as a
whole.

It's not about additional guarantees. It might require more work on your
part (but is it so much more work?), packagers are certainly used to
such splittings and users won't see a difference 99% of the time.
If Mike were starting from scratch here, this would be great. But there are already users of these bindings and breaking them up would effectively break ABI for existing users. Gtk# already has its own stability guarantees.

My bad: I was understanding users as end-users, not as users of the
bindings.

I know the issues splitting Gtk# can bring, but not splitting also brings
issues from the GNOME point of view. And that's more important in my
mind (maybe I'm alone in thinking that, though ;-))

    Another to note for Mike is that of the libraries that gtk# included
on the desktop side,

libpanelapplet - is private library to panel, even though there is little
activities to change this atm, but this is what we (Sun) termed as unstable/private
interface. Mixing a private interface with stable interface only laying down traps
for the future should the interface evolves.

libgnomeprint, libgnomeprintui - as this two libraries are soon to be obsoleted by
the GTK+ printing API, putting these two libraries as with the rest of the stable
API like GTK+ only confuses ISV/developers. When applications have eventually switch
over the GTK+, we can't remove these libraries because they are all linked in
making applications unnessary bloated.

It is worthwhile to think and work on this problem now that trying to fix it than later.

-Ghee

Vincent