Re: GnomeClient replacement?

On 7/19/06, Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> wrote:
Bill Haneman wrote:
> gnome_program_init also loads the accessibility support, calling gconf
> in the process.  It's not clear to me that this could conveniently be
> put elsewhere without complicating the dependencies of other modules...

This is a broken hack that should have been killed long ago, should
never have been allowed into libgnome at all since it means that
gtk-only apps need to either cut-and-paste the code or just not be
accessible, despite having all the other a11y code already in gtk.

It can be done with e.g. a GTK_MODULE instead, iirc. or perhaps an
xsetting type of deal to get the gconf flag into gtk itself.

I remember threatening long ago to kill the cut-and-paste from metacity
after a release or two if nobody fixed this properly; Elijah, you should
do that, I think it's been maybe two years or more! Fortunately Elijah
is probably nicer than me and won't enforce the threat ;-)

Nah, I'm just as nasty.  In fact, I didn't give advance warning (at
least, not outside of bugzilla) and committed it already over two
months ago.  And without being sure it was completely right as you can
see in my ChangeLog entry (but no one commented on the bug when I
asked for comment, so...).

There's a metacity bug about it iirc.

Yep, 123372 as shown in the ChangeLog:

2006-05-15  Elijah Newren  <newren gmail com>

       Revert the accessibility module loading workaround from Gnome
       2.6, since gtk+ has long since fixed this for us.  #123372.

       * src/Makefile.am: remove METACITY_LIBDIR define

       * src/main.c (find_accessibility_module,
       accessibility_invoke_module, accessibility_invoke, main): remove
       the first three of these functions and all calls to them

       * src/tabpopup.c (meta_ui_tab_popup_new): not sure if this part of
       120025 needed to be reverted -- but doing the reversion, if wrong, is
       the best way to get someone from the accessibility team to scream,
       er, I mean comment.  ;-)