Re: Winners of today's build breakages

On 7/25/06, Nigel Tao <nigel tao gnome gmail com> wrote:
> er, "until we had shifted to using python 2.5"

OK, given that GNOME 2.16 will not depend on (the unstable) Python
2.5, I'll re-write the elementtree stuff to use libxml2, unless I am
advised otherwise.

I didn't say that the dependency couldn't be added.  I was just saying
that if you waited until gnome adopted python-2.5 (assuming python 2.5
really did incorporate elementtree like the web page I read claimed is
in the plans) then you wouldn't even have to announce the new
dependency (since it wouldn't be a new one at that point).  And, since
that isn't the case, all I was saying is that you needed to announce
your intentions to use elementtree (and be prepared to make it
optional or rewrite IF there are sufficient objections to it).

I don't think there's any need to re-write the elementtree stuff you
have in deskbar, not unless we get people actively objecting to the
new dependency.