Re: Baobab

Hi Jeff,

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 23:59 -0700, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="David Nielsen">
>
> > I don't really think it has a place on a regular desktop, it would be most
> > welcome in a administration application set for GNOME along side Sabayon,
> > pessulus and most of gnome-system-tools though.
>
> (I think it would make more sense in a future 'Powertools' suite rather than
> the misnamed 'admin' suite - it really should be 'management'.)

I was not aware that "du" was part of a "power suite" shell management
package.  Perhaps I've got the wrong distribution.

Let's see...

  You have searched for usr/bin/du in stable, architecture i386.
  Found 1 matching files/directories, displaying files/directories 1 to 1.

  FILE                     PACKAGE

  usr/bin/du		   base/coreutils

Nope, it's in coreutils.  Baobab is a GUI version of du: it really does
nothing more and nothing less; it's a small utility showing the size of
your files starting from a folder recursively.  But let's see where find
(the equivalent of gnome-search-tool) is:

  You have searched for usr/bin/find in stable, architecture i386.
  Found 1 matching files/directories, displaying files/directories 1 to 1.

  FILE                     PACKAGE

  usr/bin/find		   base/findutils

Another package, but still in the base Debian (and Debian derivative)
installation.

Finally, let's see where the dictionary client lives:

  You have searched for usr/bin/dict in stable, architecture i386.
  Found 1 matching files/directories, displaying files/directories 1 to 1.

  FILE                    PACKAGE

  usr/bin/dict		  text/dict

Uh-oh: it seems that the dictionary client is not part of a basic
installation.  Let's remove *that*, if we want to remove something from
gnome-utils, and then let's see what happens.

The point is: gnome-utils is a collection of utilities. Over the years
has been reduced in size by removing less used/unmaintained programs and
by giving other utilities their own space.  We have reached the point of
having four small-ish applications inside it.  If we don't want
gnome-utils to grow anymore, we might as well split the package into
four smaller packages (gnome-screenshot, gnome-dictionary,
gnome-search-tool, gnome-system-log) and then see what can be added to
the desktop on a per package basis.  Personally, I think it'd be a dumb
decision, but I'll glady do the split myself - and then resign from
being the maintainer of gnome-dictionary.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,  E: ebassi gmail com