Re: Tomboy in Desktop

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Dan Winship">
>
>> The big missing piece here is translation. Alex can't personally translate
>> Tomboy into all 52 languages, but the translators don't have time to
>> translate every single GNOME app in the universe either. So if we want to
>> consider Tomboy to be "in", GNOME should say "as long as Alex sticks with
>> the GNOME release cycle and obeys string freezes, the translators should
>> translate it along with the rest of the release". It doesn't matter much
>> what we call this state. (As long as it's not "Power Tools" :-). Maybe
>> bring back "Fifth Toe"?
>
> Fifth Toe was a random grab bag, without any real purpose - what kind of
> focused suite would you suggest if not Power Tools?

A random grab bag is exactly what I'm suggesting. "Apps that we like,
that you might like too, but that we don't want to put into Desktop."
Users/Distros can look through it and find the ones they like.

Focused suites only work for apps that are targeted at a focused subset
of users (power users, sysadmins, artists, swedes, whatever). If we put
Tomboy in a "Power User" or "Sysadmin" suite, non-power-users/sysadmins
would never discover it. But if we put it in an "Organizational Tools"
suite or a "Desktop Extras" suite or an "Apps That Make Heavy Use of the
Color Yellow" suite, then we're not actually helping anyone, because the
divisions between the suites would be completely irrelevant to our
users, so every user would have to look through the contents of every
suite to find which apps they care about, so it's essentially still just
a random grab bag.

-- Dan