Re: PDFs for user-guide, accessibility-guide and system-admin-guide

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 10:59 +0100, Jan de Groot wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 10:32 +0100, Emmanuel Pacaud wrote:
> > I don't think PDF is well suited for on screen reading. Font rendering
> > and glyph spacing make document harder to read than when it's in html.
> >
> > Other points against PDF is that HTML rendering is faster, and page
> > layout of PDF files leaves a lot of unused space (page borders, space
> > between pages) with no gain regarding readability.
> >
> >         Emmanuel.
>
> I think it's nice to provide PDF next to HTML documentation. Some people
> actually print documentation to have a reference that isn't located on
> their screen, for those people PDF is ideal to HTML.

We do have printing support in Yelp now, but it simply
prints the HTML using the stuff built into Gecko.  It's
sufficient for most normal people.

But I have always wanted Yelp to do high-quality printing
by converting the DocBook directly to PDF, rather than
printing the HTML output.  Brent's work here has at least
given us a solid starting point for that.  It's not at all
unreasonable to expect that we could do this automatically
and on-the-fly inside Yelp.

--
Shaun