Re: Desktop as Nautilus

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006, Who wrote:

> Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:42:22 +0000
> From: Who <mailforwho googlemail com>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Desktop as Nautilus
>
> On 3/14/06, TRANS <transfire gmail com> wrote:

[...]

> > My idea is this. I would really like it if my Desktop actually were
> > the File Browser. In other words instead of having a seperate Desktop/
> > directory in my home directory, the desktop could actually reflect my
> > home directory (or any other defaut directory I tell it too for that
> > matter), but more that this, to be able to navigate thru the file
> > heirarchy like one normally does with Nautilus, but without the need
> > for a seperate window.

> The best place to see this working is on a PSION series 5 (maybe
> later, I only have a 5) - it is still the most productive environment
> I have ever used - and I liked the way the desktop was the file
> manager.

It isn't entirely clear what you mean but if I understand you correctly
you could achieve something similar by running Matchbox on your desktop
instead of Metacity (which have done before to try it out and I kind of
liked it).  Matchbox takes the main menu and displays it on the
desk.

http://projects.o-hand.com/matchbox/
http://projects.o-hand.com/matchbox/screenshots.html
http://projects.o-hand.com/matchbox/screenshots/ss-pango.png