Re: control-center renaming to gnome-control-center

On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 09:50:18AM -0600, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On 5/29/06, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 debian org> wrote:
> >Le lundi 29 mai 2006 à 08:11 -0600, Elijah Newren a écrit :
> >
> >> Awesome, assuming no one has any reason against it, thanks for making
> >> things more sane.  Would it also be okay if I changed the bugzilla
> >> module name for you (from control-center to gnome-control-center) so
> >> that all three match?
> >
> >Would be nice but I thought than changing the bugzilla componant was an
> >issue for bug-buddy by example (that was bkor said on IRC when
> >system-monitor was renamed to gnome-system-monitor)
>
> Maybe that's just because the bugzilla module name wasn't also
> updated, meaning that an inconsistency was maintained?  (Currently,
> that only affects the cvs link; bkor intends to add other integration
> features which would require consistency in the module naming.)
> Personally, I think the system-monitor bugzilla module should be
> renamed to gnome-system-monitor too.  Anyone object to that?

.desktop files can specify the bugzilla product & component which
bug-buddy must use. Bug-buddy will give confusing error messages if that
product/component cannot be found (these are specified in XML files).

We could add a hack to pretend control-center still exists (together
with gnome-control-center). Then we must also fix the script that
actually reads the bug-buddy email.

> We'll probably have to get bkor (or fer) to chime in to be certain as
> I don't know as many details about the bug-buddy stuff, but I'd be
> really surprised if renaming bugzilla components caused bug-buddy
> problems -- that's exactly why I thought bug-buddy does that frequent
> annoying update stuff downloading
> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/bugzilla.gnome.org/bugzilla-products.xml and
> a few other files in that directory.  (A quick sidenote: this

Those are actually only used to check if the .desktop stuff is ok and
for versions etc. Also it allows bug-buddy to show a list of products on
Bugzilla.

> annoyance is something that will soon be fixed, along with many other
> issues, by the awesome XML-RPC work bkor has been doing).

For XMl-RPC Fer made it that if the .desktop file doesn't specify a
product/component, bug-buddy will not even try to submit the stacktrace
(perhaps it will automatically save it -- not sure).
If product and component are specified it should pass them on without
checking.

--
Regards,
Olav