gnome-power-manager and battstat-applet

In 2-15 we discussed including *both* gnome-power-manager and
battstat-applet in the release but I don't think we came to any hard
decisions.

Now, with the greater integration of gnome-power-manager into other
desktop components, my opinion is we should drop battstat-applet from
the release. I think it's done a great job for many years, but I think
most (all?) distros are shipping g-p-m by default now (rather than the
applet) and having the applet as an option is superfluous.

So, has anybody got any good reasons (or use-cases) for not doing so? I
think it's safe to assume that anybody using gnome 2.17.x uses HAL[1].

Thanks,

Richard.

[1] As a related note, solaris has just had a hal backend merged (thanks
to Artem Kachitchkine), and freebsd is *really* close to getting a
backend merged (thanks to Joe Marcus Clarke).