Re: Proposing GtkUnique 1.0 as a blessed external dependency

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 00:10 -0300, Germán Poó Caamaño wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 23:09 -0300, Mariano Suárez-Alvarez wrote:
<snip>

> > > Only one help browser at the time?
> > >
> > > Even if it implemented tabs, it's likely that the apps run on different
> > > workspaces, and it's nice to have the help browser right next to the app
> > > for which you seek help.
> >
> > GtkUnique would only be used so that there is only one yelp executable
> > running, so that you do not have several geckos running and so on.
> > That's orthogonal to the location and number of the yelp windows.
>
> I'm not sure if yelp is a good candidate for GtkUnique.

Yelp is, and always has been, single-instance.  Originally, it used
bonobo activation.  Recently, it changed to using dbus (as it provided
several advantages like private instances).

> It's quite annoying when you work in a dual-head station and only able
> to run the application in only one display.

Have you tried using yelp like this?  That was one of my pet peeves with
bonobo activation under yelp.  Currently (with dbus), I can run 'yelp
-p' on the second monitor and it'll show up properly.  GtkUnique should
(hopefully) solve even this :)

Thanks
Don