Re: Proposing GtkUnique 1.0 as a blessed external dependency

hi Vincent;

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 21:13 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:

> > GtkUnique is now hosted on GNOME CVS under the gtkunique module[2] and
> > if needed I'll also request a Bugzilla product for it; I can commit it
> > to API+ABI freeze after the 1.0 release - which should happen as soon as
> > the end of the month.
> >
> > Any comments are, as always, welcome.
>
> Just wondering: I'm pretty sure some part of this API would be useful
> for non-graphical apps, and could live in glib. Or is this stupid? :-)

the API strictly depends on gobject; dependency on GTK+ is needed for
binding the windows to the "application" object (needed for setting in
motion the "server" part).  other than that, the unix domain sockets
backend does not depend on any other library, but both the Xlibs and the
D-Bus backend depend on X.

non-graphical applications have loads of simpler methods of achieving a
"single instance": a lock file, unix domain sockets, etc.; the goal of
GtkUnique is to get the details of having a single instance GUI
application - like multiple screen and workspace support, startup
notification, multiple windows - right.

so, in essence: we could have a GUniqueApp struct inside GLib, maybe
using libbacon as an IPC mechanism, but we couldn't make a GObject out
of it - thus any "single instance" application object inside GTK+ could
not use it as a base class.

ciao,
Emmanuele.

--