Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

> Aside from technical objections, are there any distributions that ship
> this by default?  Do any of these enable it by default?
>
> New applications don't get into GNOME as they may be cool and
> interesting, they get into GNOME as they are used in the real world.  As
> an example, Sound Juicer, IIRC, was the default CD ripper in released
> versions of Red Hat and Mandrake before it was proposed and accepted
> into GNOME.

That is a very polite way to say no, but I don't think it is
appropriate. If the Gnome project want to try to driver innovation, it
has to make its own decisions, not wait for others like distribution to
make them.

Jamie's proposal is full of sense and explained in detail why Tracker as
a Gnome component would be interesting. He already has the basic Gnone
integration done, and I think that what is holding back is the fact that
Tracker, which is more target as being in the development platform than
the user applications, isn't part of the platform to make the change
worthwhile around.

My take is that Tracker looks very interesting and would facilitate
certain development thought about for Gnome 3.0. Let's condensate the
vapor and start working.

Hub