Re: Proposing Tracker for inclusion into GNOME 2.18

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 23:21 +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:

> The main reason was I didn't like the way GNOME uses loads of different,
> inefficient and incompatible means of storing information (think
> Berkeley DB for EDS, MBox for emails, the zillions of small performance
> draining XML files used for bookmarks, history, rhythmbox's music
> database and many other things). So, I wanted to bring together all this
> stuff under one centralised database and in doing so increase
> performance, power and memory efficiency of the platform as a whole.

Be very careful with trying to put disparate kinds of data under the
same storage.

Read these articles:
http://www.jwz.org/doc/mailsum.html

And then consider whether you indeed want to put everything under the
same database.

Global indexers: good.  We need that.

Global metadata: good.  Does anyone but me miss the reliable, fast, and
simple metadata storage that we used in GNOME 1.2?

A database to put everything because databases can store EVERYTHING:
bad.

  Federico