Re: gnome-system-monitor (temporarily) reverted to gnome-2-16 for GNOME 2.17.x

Le jeudi 26 octobre 2006 à 13:44 -0600, Elijah Newren a écrit :
> Hi Benoit,
>
> It looks like you recently added a dependency on pcre to
> gnome-system-monitor.  Since this isn't one of the approved external
> dependencies at
> http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointSeventeen/ExternalDependencies, I have
> (temporarily) reverted gnome-system-monitor to the gnome-2-16 branch.
> That's probably not the best long term solution so here are some other
> possibilities:

	Please don't do that. I'm very disappointed : why haven't you talk to
me before doing that ? I would have explained. I was about to ask for
help for autotools...

	I'm working on a new feature and as my changelog entry suggested, this
is a work in progress. pcre dependency would be optional.
	So unless gnome provides a decent Verson Control System (that would
allow me to often commit my work (instead of doing big commits)), i'll
continue to work this way. This CVS version was never meant to be
released and i would have fixed it before releasing any 2.17.x. This is
my development branch, it is often broken.

	Your revert just makes my little job harder : CVS sucks and it might be
hard for me to re-revert.

>   - Propose pcre as a blessed dependency as per the instructions
> listed at http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointSeventeen/ExternalDependencies
>   - Make the dependency on pcre optional
>
> Since pcre is used by external modules such as anjuta, gnucash, and
> goffice, and is even proposed for usage in glib
> (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2006-October/msg00071.html),
> I think the first of those two options should be relatively easy,
> though usage of GRegex instead of pcre might be good to discuss as
> well.

GRegex would depend on pcre AFAIK. And this is exactly why i used pcre
because i knew about GRegex. Btw, I wouldn't use GRegex because pcrecpp
is just fine. GRegexmm anyone ?

I'm not suggesting anything. But in my dream world, i would have :
- gksu for password prompt (or gnomesu, which was rejected).
- pcre for regular expression (why don't we have that already ?!)
- sexy to treeview tooltips.

And gtkmm of course.

system-monitor already abuses g_module trying to load these cool
libraries. And important features are disabled if these libraries are
not found.

	I'm sad about what you did.
--
GNOME http://www.gnomefr.org/