Re: Contribution

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 00:47 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Pat Suwalski wrote:

> > On the project I work on, Celestia, my goal is to have a UI that is
> > consistent with the Windows UI, so that it's literally a port. To that
> > end, some things follow the HIG (I have dialog buttons at the bottom of
> > the window as opposed to the side)
>
> Gtk add support for alternative button orders for just this kind of use
> case.  It is at least possible to have it both ways if you want.

Actually, that's not the point of alternate button order support; the
point of the alternate button ordering setting in GTK+ is to be able
to create a GTK+ application that runs in a Windows or KDE environment
and has button ordering consistent with the platform, including for
the standard dialogs where the buttons are created by GTK+, not by the
application.

I would consider it in poor taste for an app running within the GNOME
desktop to switch to the alternate button order; users are going to
be quite confused if some GTK+ apps running within GNOME have different
button orders for the standard dialogs than others.

					- Owen