Re: getting on a longer release cycled

Hubert Figuiere wrote:
Hi,

I would like to suggest at one point to try to break with the 6 month release schedule of Gnome to do a "major" release with a certain number of feature that would involve possible infrastructure changes in the platform. There have been a large pimping of project Topaz, and I strongly believe that this is the kind of goal that would need a longer development cycle for a big leap forward towards world domination.

Why not thinking for after 2.18 starting on a 12 to 18 month release cycle. We must have a FIRM date (eventually flexible), but more importantly a FIRM features goal (eventually adapted to not become a Death March).

What do people think?

I think its worth experimenting with a longer release cycle but I would start at 9 months and see if that improves things before considering a 12 month or 18 month cycle.

I dont know how topaz will transpire but I feel it should be written in a native high level language like D or Vala as its likely to be a rewrite of much of the existing code and could be doable in 9 months with a more productive language.

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/