Re: getting on a longer release cycled

On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 12:59 -0400, Hubert Figuiere wrote:

> I would like to suggest at one point to try to break with the 6 month release
> schedule of Gnome to do a "major" release with a certain number of feature
> that would involve possible infrastructure changes in the platform.

Not sure whether the situations are similar, but I don't think this went
well for Ubuntu.  In hind sight, I don't believe there was much of a
benefit of stretching the dapper release cycle by 6 weeks.

We got 6 more weeks of bug fixing, sure, but we also got 6 more weeks of
bug development.

The fact is that whatever your release cycle length, things always fall
in the same places.

What would work better would be if features were actively developed for
the 2.20 release at the same time as things were being developed for the
2.18 release, so that the release schedule remains the same but the
development focus can be different.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?