Re: Proposal for Seahorse inclusion in GNOME 2.18

Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 22:04 +0000, Nate Nielsen wrote:
   * Text encryption (gedit plugin)
>>   * A panel-applet for those with special clipboard encryption needs.
>
> What's that applet actually for? I don't quite understand how that would
> be used and/or useful to the majority of our users.

The panel applet was created because a lot of my friends indicated that
a barrier to using encryption for their email was that they use web mail
a significant amount of the time.  The panel applet allows the user to
copy text perform an encryption operation on it and paste the new text
to a field or in the case of reading mail display the text in a window
via a preference setting.  In any case the applet has to be added by a
user before it sits in the panel.  I'm not sure that "used and/or useful
to the majority of our users" is a fair criterion as both geyes and
wanda are distributed as default.  They're fun and good applet examples,
but do they fit your stated criteria?

>> Other
>>   * Rendezvous based key sharing to share a pool of keys on a network
>
> I guess you mean "Bonjour" here

Bonjour, Howl, Avahi, DNS-SD whichever the term you like, but we use Avahi.

>> The Seahorse developers' long term goal is to make encryption easy to
>> use within GNOME. Besides filling a need for a key manager, inclusion in
>> GNOME would help us realize that goal. For example:
>>
>>   * EDS Address book integration
>>   * About-me: 'my' encryption key selection
>>   * More intelligent trust metrics based on frequency of use
>
> Do you already patches for some of this functionality?
> A patch to replace Evolution's "Contact Certificates", at least as a
> compile-time option, would be a good start.

What? We don't get to list our plans for the current development cycle?

> I believe that the integration should be done ahead of time, even if it
> is a compile-time option, something that users/distributions have got to
> opt-in to.

Most of the integration occurs as plugins that a user would have to load
or "opt-in to".

Cheers,

Adam Schreiber
- --