Re: [+gnome] Re: Showing gnome-keyring passwords in Seahorse

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Danilo egan wrote:

Yesterday at 20:06, Chipzz <chipzz ULYSSIS Org> wrote:

It's really ironic that you go through all the trouble to set up that
many different passwords, when every password is the same? How does that
improve security?
Ssh passphrases were intended as an extra barrier. And for a good reason
too. If you do not like that barrier, then why do you use it in the first
place?
But what you're arguing sounds a lot like: I don't want any passwords,
lets do away with them all together.

It's a bit different: I have one really, really hard and long password
for gnome-keyring.  And all my different passwords in the keyring are
usually simpler (yet any "password strength meter" would characterize
them as strong), but I do not need to type them all.  You are

Which is exactly the way gnome-keyring is supposed to be used. :)

suggesting that it would be same for me if I had to type this "really,
really hard and long" password each and everytime?

This would imply that I suggested using the same password everywhere (as
in: for login password, ssh passphrase, gnome keyring passphrase) - exac-
tly the opposite is true, or that you think I'm against the use of gnome
keyring, which is also incorrect: I'm against the *incorrect usage* of
gnome keyring, since that actually decraeses security instead of impro-
ving it.

I was trying to point out that I find it peculiar that Wouter complains
about having to type too much passwords, but for example still bothers
to set up a BIOS password - a little contradictionary, isn't it?

As for your long password (passphrase actually ;)), with both ssh-agent
and gnome-keyring you only have to enter it once. Which is why it matters
little (from the pov of the user typing it in) that it's long in the
first place. Which is exactly why I'm arguing against using the same
login pass and ssh/gnome-keyring passphrase.

No it wouldn't, at least imho.

And some passwords I have there are really crap ones for things I
don't care about, yet require me to have a password.

Cheers,
Danilo

kr,

Chipzz AKA
Jan Van Buggenhout

                 UNIX isn't dead - It just smells funny
                           Chipzz ULYSSIS Org
"Baldric, you wouldn't recognize a subtle plan if it painted itself pur-
 ple and danced naked on a harpsicord singing 'subtle plans are here a-
 gain'."