Re: external dependencies; trolling for more feedback, pushing to make it official ; -)

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 23:09 -0400, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> GARNOME does not roll or maintain source tarballs for developers.
>
> I do not know of any stable Linux distro that currently offers a new
> enough version of udev that provides libvolume_id.  At some point,
> hopefully in the near future, this will change. Until that time, a
> source tarball for libvolume_id will need to be made available in order
> to build HAL-0.5.8.x.

There is. It's called udev. You can download it from here

 http://kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/

It's not really my fault GARNOME can't handle this. Sorry. I'm not going
to carry extremely security sensitive code (that introduces attack
vectors like root exploits via USB keys) with all the fun that entails
like coordinated releases, embargo fun and what not, just because
GARNOME lacks a feature.

I hope you realize what a silly thing you are asking me to do.

Release team: Please apply cluebat. Thanks.

    David