Re: external dependencies; trolling for more feedback, pushing to make it official ; -)

On 9/22/06, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. <joseph_sacco comcast net> wrote:
Mattias,

I believe that you are correct [for the moment]. I took a quick look
through apps in GARNOME-2.16.x dependent up dbus. I found that
dbus-0.70, required by gnome-power-manager-2.17.1, appears to be good
enough for now.

Don't get me wrong, it is of course great to have the latest bugfixes and get
dbus release candidates widely tested, but if the focus  is on answering the
question: "can Gnome x.y be deployed on z ?" we should look at the hard
requirements (as in can not work with a version older than...). Maybe
we should split the list of external dependencies into required and
recommended versions. Then we could have e.g. a required dbus-glib
version of 0.70, but recommend 0.71.