Re: Plans for gnome-vfs replacement

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 02:57 +0100, matt wrote:
> May a newbie Windows convert make a suggestion or two ?
>

> 1) Could you please make it stop telling me I'm wrong ?
>
> For example :-
> I'm trying to get to grips with monodevelop and I save some data out as
> xml, with .txt extension.
> I do this to make it easier to hand edit to insert specifically
> malformed bogus test cases before re-loading it into my test application.
>
> Double clicking on the "myxmlfile.txt" results :
>
> Expected
> Launch gedit and read in the file.
>
> Actual
> It tries to tell me I'm wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Ok so try to open it in gedit and gedit just wines about it's type !!!!!
>
> Please tell me how to tell it easily that I *seriously* want it treated
> as a text file or as a csv or as anything I tell it whenever I say so -
> how dare it try to out guess me!  By all means notify me in the
> properties for the file, but otherwise please tell me how to make it do
> as it's told !

Weird behaviour. Aside the fact that filename extension doesn't really
dictate the file-type as much as it does verify it, it looks like the
XML you're saving isn't plain text. As a result, it doesn't verify as

> 2) Could you get it to mount the file systems so that they are available
> from the shell as well as the gui ?
> Sorry, this is another Windows hangover, but is none the less incredibly
> frustrating.

GNOME-VFS doesn't "mount" anything. If you want something similar to a
text-mode nautilus interactive shell, we could of course start talking
about a hypothetical "gnomesh". :P
--
Alex Jones <alex weej com>