Re: doesn't the session splash disappear too soon?

El mi�04-04-2007 a las 10:59 +0200, Frederic Crozat escribi� Le mercredi 04 avril 2007 �9:31 +0100, Thomas Wood a �it :
> > Ugh, can't we get rid of the splash screen yet?
>
> I don't think it is a good idea : a lot of people don't have fast as
> light systems which give you a working desktop 2s after typing your
> password.

We've been reducing the time it takes to log in with good results.  We
can definitely make login happen in 2 seconds; it's just about finding
the slow parts and fixing them.

Remember that we initially added the splash screen as a band-aid for our
horribly slow login times :)

Pending things:

- Find why Nautilus takes between 1 and 2 seconds to paint the desktop
after it hits gtk_main().

- Implement the internal GConf API for batch requests, so we don't waste
1 second doing roundtrips to gconfd.

- Instrument gnome-panel and plot some timelines to see what the slow
parts are.  When we did this for Nautilus, we were able to solve every
single problem except for the one described above.

- Cooperate with distros so that they all include the proper
preload/readahead tools; make sure they do preloading at the right time.

  Federico