Re: Do you use multiple gnome-keyring keyrings?

Nate Nielsen wrote:
> I'm also looking forward to the possibility of including SSH agent
> functionality in gnome-keyring (similar to how Mac OS X KeyChain works)
> which again, would need a single key store (in ~/.ssh), with private
> keys encrypted by the gnome-keyring 'master password'.

Hm... I'm not sure I want my SSH private key to be protected with the
same password as the rest of my keyring. And also, I like having
ssh-agent forget my keys after a while even if I'm logged in. (And the
GNOME security policies encourage that sort of thing, as do the security
policies of lots of other open source projects, I'm sure.)

Maybe a good compromise would be to have gnome-keyring *try* unlocking
your ssh and gpg keyrings using your gnome keyring password, but if it
fails, just ignore it and assume the user doesn't want his SSH/GPG keys
to be handled by gnome-keyring.

(Although really what I want, is when I do "svn up", if my ssh key isn't
unlocked, a gnome dialog should pop up asking for my password, with some
sort of input to select how long it should keep the keyring unlocked for.)

At the present time, people who use SSH and/or GPG are pretty much
guaranteed to be hacker types, not grandma/office worker types, so
having the UI get more complicated when dealing with SSH and GPG isn't
necessarily fatal.

-- Dan